Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Fine, go have a pissing match, see if I care

One of those things with social media is watching two people, who are friends with me, but generally have no idea whom the other person is, get into some kind of hissy fit for the most pissant reasons, one (or both) usually shouting "liberal!" or "right-winger!"

I have to keep reminding myself that their pissing contest isn't my problem. I don't have to defend either, and I don't have to intervene, and my best choice is usually to stay quiet and ignore the whole thing.

Well, unless one of them crosses my personal boundaries of bad taste. I have dumped people who - during some pointless scrap with someone else - reveal deeper colors of stupidity (choose your -ism, e.g. sexism), but that's been rare.  People fascinate me, and I can get along and find common ground (at least online) with just about anyone.

Still, because I like both of the brawling idiots, it can be hard not to become emotionally engaged, and worry about fallout, and if my relationship with one, or the other, could be damaged by my silence.

But, as I said, I just try to remind myself to stay out of it, and let them block each other, and then I can just go on associating with each of them as before.


No comments :

Post a Comment