Tuesday, March 31, 2015

D&D 5e First Impressions

Picked up the D&D 5e PHB yesterday. So far I'm liking it. Shows real signs of evolution from the previous versions. I can see a lot of elements from other game systems borrowed and blended, which makes sense, since game play - and games - are constantly evolving and influencing each other.

I cut my teeth on 3e back in college, and played a lot of that. I played a bit of 3.5, 4e and Pathfinder. 4e still feels like a video game adapted to tabletop play, and in that context, can be a lot of fun. 5e seems to have borrowed heavily from +Monte Cook 's Arcana Unearthed, in subtle design and flavor elements, but that may just be my perception.

I like that a lot of the historical characters from the D&D novels and adventures show up all over the place in the text. It makes it feel like all those hours I spent reading and playing are coming full circle to old friends.



No comments :

Post a Comment