Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Value Of A Dollar - perspective and context are everything

I thank God I've never had economic woes so bad that a single dollar caused me distress.

I was at the post office, and the guy in front of me was frustrated with the postal worker, because when he asked "the total," she gave him the postage total, not the total of postage plus reinforced envelope pulled off the post office shelf, and he was surprised when the total was $3.85 instead of $2.67.

At first I was annoyed he was splitting hairs over a dollar, but then I listened to his words and his tone. He wasn't bitching about a dollar because he felt ripped off, he was frustrated because he needed that dollar for something else. 

Probably to feed the stick-thin four year-old girl who stood dutifully and cluelessly by his side.

I thank God I've never had economic woes so bad that a single dollar caused me distress.



No comments :

Post a Comment